Thursday Evening – 26th July

For the early arrivals at Gorleston things looked very promising with a lovely warm ESE’erly F3-4 breeze . There was a gentle flood tide which was to prove a hinderance to some on the start line. Eight boats took to the water including four lasers providing some good class racing for their helms. With a three short race format planned, it was going to be a busy evening. By the time the racing started the wind had eased to a F2-3. With many boats crowding the line early it looked possible for a recall but only one boat was over with the others managing to counter-act the impact of the tide just in time. Don, sailing his D-One had a set back when his clew strap decided to detach itself from the boom just before the start. With some help from the race team this was rectified and Don was able to join the racing but generously giving the others several minutes head start. Richard F(300) made a quick recovery from his premature start and soon lead the fleet towards the windward mark rounding just ahead of the Phil and Lorna(400) and the Laser of Tamsin. With the wind easing slightly it made for slow progress downwind. The 300 held off the 400 to cross the line first but close behind was Tamsin and the Lasers of Keith and Richard B, resulting in a Laser 1,2,3 on corrected time. There was a clean start in race two and Richard F quickly took the lead. At the windward mark he had a good lead on the rest of the fleet lead by Phil and Lorna and Keith establishing a small lead on the other Lasers. There appeared to be a little more wind on the south side of the course so most of the fleet headed start inshore with the added bonus of avoiding the remains of the flood tide. Positions remained unchanged at the line with Richard F crossing over a minute ahead of the 400 and Keith third. Tamsin stayed in front of the other two Lasers who were neck and neck all the way down to the line with Richard B just beating Daryl by 4 seconds. The D-One’s were having their own battle with only a few seconds separating them all round the course with Don just beating Adrian by a few seconds at the line. On corrected time Richard F was first beating Keith by just one second ! By the time the third race started the wind was teasing everyone occasionally showing signs of life but more often than not it was only a F1…..ish, with the sea now more resembling a mill pond. At the windward mark the 300 and 400 rounded close together with a big gap to the rest of the fleet led by D-One Don. Phil and Lorna must have been fully concentrating downwind as they slowly built up a small lead over Richard F to cross the line first. On corrected time it was a dead heat between them and Richard F with Don beating Keith by one second for third place. With the sun just setting as we headed back ashore it was a lovely end to very pleasant evenings sailing. Many thanks to young Ed and Noah for their assistance on the committee boat and to Phil and Lorna for organising supper. Full results on the club website.