Thursday 4th August

Sailors had to content themselves with a warm gentle easterly breeze. With low water less than an hour away the shore line was well down with some small ‘wavelets’ rolling in as we launched the boats.

It was an uncharacteristic start for Gorleston as the first race started a few minutes early! All credit to the Race team  for encouraging everyone to get on the beach and launched and thus allowing for a short third race.

D-One vs RS400

The tide dictated the beats, resulting in only one sensible route without risking over standing the windward mark and having to combat the last of the ebb tide, which was still quite strong.

The downwind legs where a leisurely affair in the light winds making them seem to last for ages.

Richard Fryer hogged the lead in all three races, out pacing everyone in his RS300.

Vareo’s enjoying a close battle

In race one Dave learnt that being over the line at the start isn’t the fastest way to start and had to return. Richard 300 opened up a big lead earning an extra lap and managing to lap a few boats in the process.  Adrian, sailing his D-One was a comfortable second over the water but not quite fast enough to hold his handicap. Ed won the battle of the Vareo’s as Richard Foster paid heavily for overstanding the windward mark on the first beat.

Lasers chasing the 300

In race two the fleet were a lot closer together. Richard 300 led, followed by Phil & Lorna in their 400. The two Vareo’s had a race long tussle with Richard leading Ed by 5 seconds after the first lap, opening up a gap of over 20 seconds after the second lap. However, Ed found some speed on the final lap and it was a photo finish on the line with Richard given the nod by a whisker.

Boats packed away and getting dark- nice sky though !


The final race was a one lap sprint. Sprint may be the wrong term as the wind had eased by this time making it a very sedate lap.  Richard 300 led the fleet crossing the line ahead of Dave, closely followed by Adrian with all the other boats finishing within 17 seconds of each other.

Many thanks to Phil for standing in as race officer for the evening.  It was quite noticeably how much the nights were already drawing in as we headed for shore, could it be the last of the three race evenings this year?

Full results –

Pictures – GYGSC’s albums | Flickr