Members took to the countryside today for an enjoyable walk along the Nth Walsham & Dilham Canal although muddy the walk took in some very interesting countryside and the ongoing restoration of the canal. There was even so Yachts sailing on the mill pond.
The canal was Norfolk’s only artificial, locked sailing canal and was opened in 1826. 8¾ miles in length, it ran from Antingham Bone Mills, 1½ miles NW of North Walsham, to Wayford Bridge where it joined the navigable River Ant. It used 6 large locks along its length to enable the 20 ton wherries to ascend the 58ft rise to Antingham.
The canal was closed in 1893 and officially abandoned in 1927.
The Walk sensibly started and finished the Bluebell Pub where we enjoyed lunch and a pint.
Thanks to Tom for organising. We all enjoyed ourselves and there was no whingeing at all.